It’s probably no surprise to you that wisdom teeth can cause problems. At some point in your life, you’ve probably envied the tempting (though temporary) milkshake diet that your brother or cousin or friend has been on after having a wisdom tooth removed.
Wisdom teeth are located in the very back of your mouth. Sometimes they erupt and sometimes they do not. When they do erupt, whether partially or fully, they can be quite difficult to reach—this makes it hard to keep them clean. As a result, wisdom teeth are more susceptible to tooth decay, recurring infections and gum disease. (For more general information on wisdom teeth, please check out: http://brianhadeed.com/wisdom-teeth/ and http://brianhadeed.com/wisdom-teeth-removal/). When wisdom teeth cannot break through the gums and or bone, we say that the teeth are impacted. How do you know if wisdom teeth have become impacted? We’re here to help you take notice.
Nine Indicators of Impaction
- Your gums are tender and swollen.
- You’re experiencing pain in the back of your mouth.
- Your gums are red.
- Your gums are bleeding.
- It’s so hard to chew your food!
- You’re getting headaches.
- Around your jaw, your skin is swelling.
- That bad taste in your mouth—you can’t kick it.
- That bad breath—it seems here to stay.
If you have some or all of these symptoms, don’t bury your head in the sand. (That will just make it worse!) It’s important to get your mouth checked out as soon as you can.
Can An Impacted Tooth Be Left Untreated?
- Impacted wisdom can eventually push on the teeth adjacent to them, causing damage to those second molars and maybe even causing infection.
- Infected wisdom teeth can lead to gum disease and tooth decay.
- Cysts can develop in the area of the wisdom teeth
If there is any question regarding whether you have an impacted wisdom tooth, please call us at (586) 286-4500. At your appointment, Dr. Hadeed will examine your mouth and then—whether or not the issue is caused by impacted wisdom teeth—advise you on the next steps to take. We are eager to help!